Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Oct. 21 Breast Cancer Walk

Last weekend I participated in The American Heart Association Breast Cancer Walk in Pt. Pleasant, on Sunday, October 21, along with my family. My Dad's sister, my Mom's sister, and my neighbor's mother were diagnosed with Breast Cancer, so the walk had a heartfelt personal meaning to us all. There was 19 of us and we were called the "Pizza Night Girls," (beacuse for as long as I can remember, every Friday night, my entire family would go to my aunt's and she would make pizza.) So, the Friday prior to the walk, we went to my aunt's house and she had a pizza night "pep-rally" to get us excited and motivated. They went to extremes; my aunt put pink food coloring in the cheese in order for the pizza to be pink, and the dough for the garlic knots was dyed pink and tied into the shape of a ribbon. My other aunt had visors made reading our team name. When we arrived to the Walk, there was a sea of women dressed in pink clothing. The Association gave out t-shirt's and banner-ribbons that read, "SURVIVOR," to the survivors'. They had a half hour warm up session just before the walk started, and then we began the 5mile walk. As we walked the boardwalk, we couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day. All in all, the experience was one I will remember. We made a difference in the fight against Breast Cancer, and I spent some quality time with people I care about.

No comments: